Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hello 2012!








Happy New Year! We went to a wedding last night and the boys spent the night at camp Crosby. All is quiet this morning and I have time to catch up. Lots of catching up to do.

The second half of 2011 was a busy one. Milestones all over the place. I haven’t written in forever because it’s been busy (to say the least) but it’s also daunting to catch up when so much has happened. To talk myself into writing a post, I have told myself before it’s not necessary to document everything that’s gone on since the last post… The pep talk hasn’t worked. I still haven’t managed to put anything down in a looooong while.

I think because I want to at least hit the highlights. It’s New Year’s day. So, a look back at the year seems apropos. Here goes.

In June we had a new addition to the family. Charlotte, AKA Charlie, is a total love bug and has been the best puppy imaginable. She’s still learning her manners but already she has wiggled her way into the deepest part of our hearts with her Labradoodle love.

On Independence Day, I typed a resignation letter and left the comfort zone I’d known for 15 years at Communications Plus. I am over the need to hash through the particulars. I will just say, in many conversations since I have likened it to a divorce. Painful. Necessary. Liberating. I am proud to report the new company, BrightSpot, is up and running full steam ahead. Erika and I just secured a small office space after being at our respective dining room tables for nearly six months. Business is good. We’re so fortunate to have each other, the support of great clients and encouragement from family, good friends and colleagues.

In August Grant started Kindergarten. Our walks to school are some of my most favorite times. It’s a time to talk. And I love to take in whatever it is he thinks to share. I love that we walk to school and that he says hello to friends and faculty along the way. I love that the principal says hello to both of us by name. A lot of energy has gone toward creating this experience in the last few years. Standing in his Kindergarten classroom with a handful of involved parents, helping with a holiday party felt like a reward for the effort. It’s a warm fuzzy.

His favorite part of school is recess—PE running a close second. Stands to reason. He’s been driving past that playground his entire life. He is working diligently to master the monkey bars. He’s also learning to read—a task he finds frustrating sometimes, but he’s working at it. Getting in the groove of homework and adding it to the routine has been something we’ve all had to learn.

September breezed by with PTO todos for the fall carnival, soccer for G, and a busy month at work. Literally, everything on tap in life and work was complete/due the last week in September… And then we took a deep breath of fall air.

In October I wrote (but never posted) this:

October 29

I haven’t written in months. I’ve composed a dialogue for this space many times in my head since my last post but time has been short. Life has been in the process of the next evolution. I’ve been in flux to say the least. Rather than hash through the flux in report form, I think I’ll just say that this week the flux feeling has waned.

Halloween approaching, fall in the air. I found a stride where true happiness crept in. What is it about this time of year that brings joy? For me, October must be what December is for so many people… True joy.

A pause and smile inspired from the sound of my three boys singing five little pumpkins in the bathroom during bath time. Joy noticed while decorating our yard with ghosts and visiting with neighbors on the first day a hint of dry, chilly air came through. A sense that it’d be “fun” to make cupcakes and then actually doing it! Hosting good friends pre and post Halloween parade in the park. The smell of a spicy candle filling the living room. The taste of a chai tea latte… Life is good. And something about fall always reminds me so. Something about fall, makes me pause. Breathe. Appreciate. Renew.

I venture I am not the only one experiencing moments of “pinch me” at the Casa. Football season is in full swing. The World Series has just ended. Kindergarten is cool as all get out. And turning two… rocks!

B turned two on the16th. When I look at photos from just one year ago. I see a complete and total transformation from baby to boy. Sigh. Again, I would love to hold on to that baby. Stop time… I will miss the smell of honey he emits when he sleeps.

I didn’t really finish the Barrett report then… So here’s the synopsis. Barrett went from a few words in October to full sentences these days. Sometimes instructional sentences with a very specific “are you understanding me?” tone, a pointed figure and a stern brow … He is very sure of what he wants and uses his words to be certain everyone else is sure, too.

The Paci (called a Fabi by B) remains a great love in his life but is reserved for bed time now. He also loves his blankets and routinely carries three full sized blankets around the house. Goodnight Moon is still his favorite bedtime book… He is the easiest child to put to bed, often putting himself to bed by wandering into him room on his own. He is a cuddle kid. When he’s sweet, he’s the sweetest. His tone of voice sounds like a Mogwai. You know the “nice gremlin?” But don’t feed him after midnight… there’s a gremlin in there too!

He still has this need throw things on a table onto the floor. Books on the table? Let’s toss them on the floor! A full box of crayons… to him it’s as if they NEED to be on the kitchen floor. And he knows not his strength or how to be gentle and soft. He’s fast. He climbs. He’s busy busy busy. Just like Thomas the Train and his friends. You know the song? B does. It’s one of his favorites. For his birthday we went to ride the train in Hermann Park. When it started to pull out of the station he whaled… ultimately deciding it was OK. But not so sure at first.

His favorite shirt is red with a truck on it. I think in part because his brother wears red to school every day. We wash that shirt a lot. We may have to make it into a commemorative something when he outgrows it (in about 2.2 minutes).

He loves to play with balls and has quite an arm on him. Christmas morning he threw a full sized basketball across the living room. Lucky for us he didn’t hit the tree… or Grammy… Always gotta have your “heads up” with Mr. B. Cannot turn your back for a split second with that one. Something Dad learned all too well the other day when he found a blue marker and took it to the sofa… thank heaven for washable markers.

For Thanksgiving we traveled to both Austin and Dallas. Eve and her family were in Austin and spending time with them and letting the kids play made me wish we saw them more often. It was a great trip… Thanksgiving in Dallas remains one of my favorite times of year. Good family time. Good food. The start of the holidays… We took the Polar Express ride in Grapevine and got in the spirit. All the travels were smooth as could be until Charlie tossed her cookies in Grant’s lap just outside of Houston on the road home. Brave big boy managed it well… but no one likes to be puked on.

At the start of December we ventured to a Christmas tree farm with the Sorensen’s. The day we planned ended up being bad weather but it made the adventure all the better. Grant and Anders each cut down a Christmas tree and we had a great picnic before heading home to a pot of chili and the task of lighting and decorating. I’ll end that story by saying that today I plan to purchase an artificial tree on sale.

The rest of December flew by. Aunt Laura visited. We had a drama free holiday … Nana, Papa, Grammy and Nathan stayed with us. We all enjoyed Martinez Christmas Eve in Crosby… even though we left the gifts at home… all was well that ended well. Santa was good to us all.

I turned 38 a couple days ago. A highlight of the holiday was celebrating with my neighbor friends the other night. I’d be bothered about my new age except Christian turns 39 in a couple weeks. That seems a lot worse. We both agree it doesn’t seem possible that we’ve just welcomed 2012 and that we’re pushing 40. Time is marching on. And the little feet in our house are growing every day… I mean both boys are forever in need of new shoes.

So here we are 2012. Welcome. I gotta say I am glad to see 2011 gone. A new leaf has officially turned. It’s a new year and it’s going to be a Bright one. Last year my theme word was movement. I accomplished that. I got my body in motion (need to get back on that wagon ASAP). I also fulfilled my commitment to forward motion at work in 2011. Life looks completely different to me than it did a year ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment