Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

It's a...

After an incomplete voice mail message, a phone call re: the incomplete message, another day of waiting and the final and complete voice mail… We final got the gender news last night.

The opportunity to tell G seemed to present itself tonight when he told us about how our good friends the Bromley’s are having a baby sister soon. “Her name is Chandler,” he told us, repeating back to us a discussion we’ve had with him a couple times over the last couple weeks.

And so we told him at the dinner table that he was going to have a baby brother... And that the baby is growing in my tummy now….He smiled and it seemed to sink in for a minute.

“And he can sleep in my baby bed,” he replied. “And play with my baby toys.”

Ahhhhhhh- already sharing… we talked about it for a minute or two more and then as Deeda commented, it was kinda like G said, “That’s great, please pass the ketchup.” The big moment we’d been imagining kinda seemed like a spontaneous blip in the evening routine. And then the big moment I’d been imagining came.

After another rousing episode of the super friends and the hall of justice (I will be happy when we can move on from that one), it was time to brush teeth and head for bed. Before racing Deeda to the bathroom, as they do most nights these days, G stopped and turned back to me.

“You have a baby in your shirt?” he said. “I want to see.”

He really looked at me a minute and then he looked at my stomach. “Yes,” I said, “you can see.”

“You can kiss it,” Deeda piped in.

And, so, he gently kissed my tummy. (And I swear I am not making this stuff up.)

*****

Today I find myself daydreaming with a new mental image of what the family Dionne looks like. It’s all a new reality that we are four plus Dee dog. The question mark is out of the picture and it’s so fun to imagine what our life looks like six months from now, six years from now, 26 years from now…

*****

p.s. the fever I declared to be viral last week (because I am an expert in the medical field) turned out to be an ear infection,which was obvious about 3 a.m. this morning. Poor kiddo.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on another baby boy! He and G will be best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys rule. And they love their mums.

    ReplyDelete